Bloggy Howl, I have a Blog!

A sometimes serious, sometimes fun collection of my writings, readings and online activities...

Saturday, October 01, 2005

The end of an era

Last night I said goodbye to The Jazz Garden.

The place that started me off on my own productions, where I've staged over a dozen plays since 2001. The place that redefined me and which I redefined, showing people that theatre didn't demand elaborate sets and fancy lights. The place that showed that theatre would always survive.

It was sad and strange to see the unfinished stage, which we had always been assured would be ready by the next production, but which we knew would be in its unfinished form nevertheless, the next time we draped a black backdrop.

The Jazz Garden has closed down for good.

Tomorrow, another owner will put into operation his vision for a restaurant by the river. But last night, The Jazz Garden rocked once again, as she did nine years ago when Pune's first and only Jazz band kicked her off.

I never thought I'd ever use the words "end of an era," for I've always believed in new beginnings.

But last night, it was the end of an era.

There is no more Jazz Garden.

There will always be a Jazz Garden.

Deepak

4 Comments:

At 1:40 PM , Blogger N said...

Yeah, I guess it is the end of an era in some ways. It was such a charming place. Not too many places in Pune made such a deep impression on me.

But you are right, art and music will find a way.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger gautami tripathy said...

It might be an end of an era...but it never really ends.

How can anything like theatre, music or art end?


There will always be a new beginning...

Rightly said....there will always be a Jazz Garden.

 
At 1:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deepak,
I heard your podcast on the demise of Jazz Garden courtesy of Max.
First,sorry for your loss and secondly just wanted to compliment you on your deeply soulful voice.
Its perfect for Radio and Television.
Irfat.
Toronto,Canada

 
At 1:34 AM , Blogger Deepak Morris said...

Thank you, irfat.

I hope you visit often and enjoy further podcasts from me.

Deepak

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home