Bloggy Howl, I have a Blog!

A sometimes serious, sometimes fun collection of my writings, readings and online activities...

Friday, January 19, 2007

My Play in Dubai!

I suppose that should have read "My Ply in Dubai" to stick to the rhyme scheme but hey, I'm excited!

It was the Dubai Drama Group that gave me the kick I needed to write my own plays. When I came back to India I wote "Business Is War" and staged it in a matter of 30 days - mainly because I had a cast, a venue, a commitment and no play, so I wrote my own.

Since then, BIW has been staged in at least 7 countries. It may have been staged in more - I didn't really protect it in those early years.

Be that as it may, a student of the American University in Dubai read the first scene of BIW and wants to stage it - and he's convinced he'll win an award for it (not really a leap of faith, since the college group in the US and the one in South Africa DID win awards for it)

There's something about that play...

I've asked him to first send me a write-up on the college before I unleash the play on him but... this is exciting!

There's definitely something about that play and I wish I knew what it is!

Personally, I don't like it all that much - it's like an idiot child who's making waves the world over. I'm proud that the idiot is my offspring but I cringe at what he's actually saying. Not much, actually, and very little scope for "production values" (inside Pune jibe) so, well, "Business Is War" might get done in Dubai.

Stay tuned,

Deepak

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home