Bloggy Howl, I have a Blog!

A sometimes serious, sometimes fun collection of my writings, readings and online activities...

Monday, November 28, 2005

What Pune Theatre Needs

Commitment.

I've said this over and over again and I'm fairly sure no one's listening.

Commitment, not just on the part of the director. Regardless of my dislike - bordering on hatred - of the weather and harried pace of Mumbai, I have to admit actors there have far higher levels of commitment than laid-back Puneites do.

"I Am Amuse" went well, in the sense, there were no glitches that weren't overcome. However, if the writers and actors had just extended themselves that tad bit more, there would have been magic. Don't get me wrong. The evening was a financial and theatrical success. The more than 190 people at the venue were delighted at the stories and the acting.

But, to me, that's not enough.

I saw no desire on the part of writers to polish their pieces. I saw no effort on the part of actors to polish their craft. I saw no desire to create magic.

Yes, that's harsh. But like Farah said in her comment on the previous post on "I Am Amuse," I care a hang who I rub the wrong way.

A well-presented evening is no substitute for a magical one. Can we commit to creating magic?

Deepak

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home