Bloggy Howl, I have a Blog!

A sometimes serious, sometimes fun collection of my writings, readings and online activities...

Monday, May 15, 2006

Banning Da Vinci Code

There's a movement on in India to ban the screening of the film version of the Da Vinci Code. Pious priests are exhorting good Catholics to add their names and signatures outside each church so that the pernickity movie don't get shown.

I've never encountered such tosh before, although persons older than I am assure me that the good ole Catholic church has indulged in such nonsense all the way down the ages.

For one thing, I'm opposed to censorship of any kind, period.

For another, how can a work of fiction pose a threat to a belief?

For a third, can't the good Catholics of India see that opposing the silly movie only gives it more publicity?

If a book and movie can turn people away from the faith, it's a rather weak faith, I'd think.

The argument being put forth is that the book and movie are deliberate efforts to hurt the sentiments of the faithful.

I say, so what?

Why should a little bit of hurt - or even a lot of hurt - justify censorship?

Is faith so fragile?

Deepak

1 Comments:

At 11:24 PM , Blogger Harshal said...

I agree completely.

http://www.lakhpatipage.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home