Bloggy Howl, I have a Blog!

A sometimes serious, sometimes fun collection of my writings, readings and online activities...

Monday, May 22, 2006

Amateur Dramatics

This post is in response to a play I attended this evening.

Fine, so one makes allowances for amateur dramatics in terms of the amount of money that can be spent, or the talent that's available, but I'm sorry to say Jitendra Pawar's effort to start a "Theatre Movement" (his words) fell far short of any serious essay into drama.

I have nothing against comedies. Almost all of my plays are comedies and those that aren't have a heavy dose of comedy. However, Jitendra's attempt at comedy fell even further below Bharat Dabholkar's sexual innuendos, and that's saying a lot.

People have long stopped laughing at the mention of tennis balls. If physical comedy is going to be attempted, please train the actors so that a sock on the jaw LOOKS like a sock on the jaw and not a first standard (I believe the current phraseology is "first grade") student's attempt to portray a sock on the jaw.

Repeating a line does not constitute a script. It takes considerable talent to write a play that has mainly "Oh Shit" as dialogue. Merely repeating "Oh Shit" does not necessarily mean the script is Avant Garde.

And finally, calling attention to me at the start of the play and getting me to stand up and smile at the gathered public does not guarantee that I shall wait till the interval to get the hell out of the auditorium.

Deepak

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM , Blogger Passionate Dilettante said...

So you didn't like this one, then? Hello you! Of course I remember you, and I'm very impressed with the photo, partly because you put it up, and partly because you look so good. Mine is not going up, and only partly because all my photos show this stereotypical middle-aged Englishwoman (the same one who keeps appearing in the mirrors that wall every indoor space in this place) who seems to be progressing so inexorably from rectangle to pear-shape to egg-shape that it's only a matter of time before she becomes a perfect sphere. Omigawd...... Apart from that, I'm fine, and it's good to see you again, you successful playwright and media darling! xN.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home